Ten Little Known Facts About Number Ones And The Artists Who Sang Them

Go down

Post by Steve on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:52 pm

While perusing the latest volume of the history of Billboard's Number Ones, I uncovered a modest collection of musical trivia. I even discovered two pieces of trivia I did not know regarding The Beatles.

First of all, the Fab Four were the warm up band for Tommy Roe, singer of the number one hits "Dizzy" and "Sweet Pea," in a United Kingdom tour in 1963. Also, the popular folk rock artist Donovan can be heard on the title track of "Yellow Submarine" and it is Paul McCartney himself who whispers "Mellow Yellow" on Donovan's hit single.

Here are ten other bits of trivia I found of interest in the book, which spans the top hits from the 1940s through the 1990s.

Bobbie Gentry, the country star who hit number one in 1967 and a few years later even inspired a movie with "Ode To Billie Joe," was married to "Spiders and Snakes" singer Jim Stafford.

Guitarist Ed King, who co-wrote "Sweet Home Alabama" as a member of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd, previously played in the psychedelic group Strawberry Alarm Clock on their 1967 number one single "Incense and Peppermint."

The Beatles' "I Am the Walrus" inspired a teenager named Jeff Lynne to form Electric Light Orchestra, after he heard cellos used in a rock song for the first time.

Tommy Roe co-wrote the number one hit "Dizzy" with Freddy Weller, who was a member of "Indian Reservation" group Paul Revere and the Raiders.

"This Masquerade", which topped the charts in the George Benson version, was composed by Leon Russell, whose sister was the girlfriend of Bread's David Gates.

Edgar Winter came up with the title "Frankenstein" after all the cuts and patches he made to it trying to shorten the instrumental version that went all the way to number one in 1974.

Foreigner founders Mick Jones and Ian MacDonald first met at a concert of Ian Lloyd, who was the lead singer of 1973 chart-topper "Brother Louie" group the Stories.

David Bellamy of the Bellamy Brothers, whose "Let Your Love Flow" hit the top spot in 1978, wrote Jim Stafford's most famous single "Spiders and Snakes."

Bill Danoff of the Starland Vocal Band, famous for the 1976 smash hit "Afternoon Delight," co-wrote "Take Me Home, Country Roads" with John Denver.

Artist/singer Toni Basil played a prostitute in the 1969 cult classic film Easy Rider before hitting number one in 1983 with "Mickey" and its memorable cheerleading video.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Doug_Poe/1952596

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like our page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
Steve
Owner & Admin

View user profile http://www.entmtone.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ten Little Known Facts About Number Ones And The Artists Who Sang Them

Post by Shole on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Oh I love Simple Man and Sweet Home Alabama. Those songs just rock!
Didn't know those facts, but to be frank the bands were out of my timeline, not that I don't listen to them it's just they are not there anymore(most) and you don't get so much news about them, hence didn't know those lil details.
Shole
Samuel L. Jackson

View user profile http://thewritinghut.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum