Entmtonline
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Longer Flowing, Fountains Of Wayne Leave Behind A Trove Of Pop Culture References

Go down

No Longer Flowing, Fountains Of Wayne Leave Behind A Trove Of Pop Culture References Empty No Longer Flowing, Fountains Of Wayne Leave Behind A Trove Of Pop Culture References

Post by Steve Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:41 am

No Longer Flowing, Fountains Of Wayne Leave Behind A Trove Of Pop Culture References

One of the most underrated bands for the last twenty years has officially split up, according to the member who sang and co-wrote all of their songs. Chris Collingwood revealed in an interview that Fountains of Wayne, who became well-known for their single "Stacy's Mom", will no longer record music together.

"Fountains of Wayne, it's a history I embraced for a while," Collingwood told Elise Lu of National Public Radio on July 24. "And it's not something that interests me anymore."

The interview came on the heels of the release of the first album of Collingwood's new band in May of 2016. Look Park is the self-titled debut of the new group which, with Collingwood on lead vocals, should sound very familiar to FOW fans.

The music, although certainly worthy of purchase, is mostly acoustic. Fans will miss the power pop side of FOW, as well as the band's clever references to pop culture in the lyrics.

On their six albums, Colingwood and songwriting partner Adam Schlessinger managed to squeeze in more than two dozen references to fellow artists, songs, and actors that are all part of pop culture. Here is a complete list of all of the actors, films, artists, and song titles along with the tunes they in which they are mentioned.

Fellow Musicians

Korn- This 90s band appears in Red Dragon Tattoo in the line, "Now I look a little more like that guy from Korn."

.38 Special- These Southern rockers are also in Red Dragon Tattoo in the line, "I've got a.38 Special CD collection."

Johnny Cash- In I'll Do The Driving, "She says I love Johnny Cash, the Man in Red."

Coldplay- These alternative rock icons are mentioned in the line, "Puts Coldplay on, curls up with a book about organized crime" in the tune Someone To Love.

Steve Perry- The former lead singer of Journey gets a nod in Road Song, when the singer admits "I know that I'm no Steve Perry."

Jerry Garcia- Fans of the Dead would be grateful that their beloved idol is alluded to in The Man In The Santa Suit, who "looks like Jerry Garcia"

Puff Daddy- The rapper is named in Denise, who "listens to Puff Daddy."

Pink Floyd- Supercollider admits that something is "Hidden in a Pink Floyd song."

Guns n Roses- Among the merchandise sold at a stop along I-95 are "Posters of girls washing cars, unicorns and stars, Guns 'n Roses album covers."

Sugar Ray- These FOW contemporaries appear on Baby I've Changed, when he promises, "I'll let you listen to Sugar Ray."

Songs

Just the Way You Are- On Peace and Love the singer is "Trying to find the chords to" this Billy Joel hit.

Jumpin' Jack Flash- "The juke box play" this Rolling Stones single on I'll Do the Driving.

The Joker - This Steve Miller Band classic "plays every night at the Radio Bar."

Actors

Christopher Walken- The actress from Hackensack was recently seen "Talking to Christopher Walken on my TV screen."

Will Farrell- The star is praised in Road Song, being written "between stops at the Cracker Barrel and forty movies with Will Farrell."

Carl Reiner- One of the two guys in the diner on New Routine "looks like Carl Reiner."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9516961
Steve
Steve
Owner & Admin

http://www.entmtone.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum